Customs and Traditions

What's the ring bearer do then?

My fiance told me a few days ago that he doesn't want our ring bearer actually carrying our rings on the pillow and that he's never been to a wedding where the ring bearer does actually carry the rings. He said that the best man usually has them. Not really sure why he doesn't want him to carry the rings, and I can't remember how it went at the weddings that I've been to. Our wedding is less than a month away and I don't know what to do. We have a ring bearer and his parents have already rented the tuxedo. Input?

Re: What's the ring bearer do then?

• Wander the aisle, look adorable, fall occasionally, and generally chew the scenery.
    Anniversary
  • I have definitely heard of this before. People don't want to take the chance of a young child losing the rings because the string came loose, etc. The ring bearer is just a symbolic position, a reason for many to put a young boy they may be close to in the wedding. I have seen them carry the pillow with fake rings tied to it & the Groom gets the actual weddiing rings from the Best Man. 

I am having my nephew as my ring bearer and he most likely will just carry a little pillow, strut down the aisle, looking cute & stand up with the Groomsmen & be in the wedding pictures, which is really all I want, LOL. 
  • Thanks. I didn't know if this was weird or not, but it seems pretty common.
  • edited March 2013
    We did the same as Stage, and we weren't concerned he would lose the real rings because our RB was 7. All the same, he didn't get them until right before the processional started.

ETA: My point being, if you have a super young RB (3-4), he shouldn't get the real rings.
  • My son didn't carry a pillow. He had them in his pocket and handed them over to my H when the priest asked for them.

I was hella cute; he looked so grown up.