Community UAT Feedback

Navigation Feedback

Any comments / feedback related to navigation?

Re: Navigation Feedback

• Is there a way to change boards without someone having posted on it recently? I may be just missing it, but I can't change boards to just see what is posted.

Also, will there be a list of boards as a sidebar or something for simple navigation?

• I was wondering the same thing Staar.  I can't seem to find the simple navigation toolbars.
    (image)
  • I am so glad that it isn't just me. I felt like I was missing something obvious.
  • I'm with the other ladies.  We need a sidebar for each board.  This is just too confusing.
  • In the right side, there is a 'choose another board' dropdown.  It is a list of the board categories.  Displaying all of the boards across all of the categories in the dropdown was not easy to read and view.  Additionally, the breadcrumb (Community -> Test Catgory -> Community UAT Feedback) are another navigation option and quite common. 

Are you wanting to browse the boards?  Or find a specific board that you know exists? 
  • That option currently doesn't work. It just shows a list of boards but you can't access any of them.

The breadcrumb is fine. It is on the site the way it is now too.

I like to look at specific boards and I think that is a much harder way to get there, even if it worked.

I think that it is going to make board discover-ability really bad. Whatever the default board is will get bombarded with posts because it won't be obvious that there is say a DIY board.

• edited April 2013
    I finally found this board drop down menu. Honestly it blends in with the entire page. It needs to me made to stick out, like a different color and possibly moved to the top of the page. And please can we get rid of seeing other people getting badges. It got annoying really quickly.

Also can we do something for those is us with long names. Mine spills over into the posts.
  • @HobokenBride2012 - can you actually change boards? My drop down doesn't change boards. Just brings up a list that shows all the boards and the links there don't work.
  • staar987 said:
    @HobokenBride2012 - can you actually change boards? My drop down doesn't change boards. Just brings up a list that shows all the boards and the links there don't work.
    No it's not live yet.
  • staar987 said:
    @HobokenBride2012 - can you actually change boards? My drop down doesn't change boards. Just brings up a list that shows all the boards and the links there don't work.
    No it's not live yet.

Makes it hard to test it out.
  • I finally found it too, it's WAY to small. I think there should be a list of boards that is visible to make it easier to click between boards.  Especially since this drop down isn't that easy to find.
    (image)
  • edited April 2013
    Ok I've spent a few hours adding content and playing around. My overall assessment is that it is Overall complicated, difficult to navigate and it is not intuitive. Simplification is advised.

Dislikes:
    • Popularity Contest Point System
    • Distinctions between questions,polls, announcements (unnecessary)
    • Make topic links stand out above usernames
    • OP rating post responses
    • Timer on Edits (we hate DDs but sometimes we want to remove something)
    • Limits on Characters (its taking me forever to compose this bc of them)
    • Long screen names get jumbled into post
    • Popup to reject/accept is annoying
    • i type 3 sentences and i get an alert for too many characters

• Saved Messages
    • Awesome Flag
    • Highlight for new posts
    • PM feature
    • Alerts
    • Recent Activity List

Undecided

•  Identity for pollers (I just see this as inviting attacks)
    • Profile comments

Desires

• To see who is logged in
    • IM type conversations
    • Live open forum/chat room
  • Muppet has mentioned a few good points.  TK has essentially created new ways of attacking someone.  All you have to do is reject their responses to lower their point totals.  It's best to get rid of this feature all together because it's going to turn into a popularity contest.  Also polls should be anonymous because I can see problems arising by how people voted.
  • I do think the anonymous polls are best. Having it public might make people with a less popular opinion shy away from answering certain questions like, "Oh Staar hates pie. Lets lower her point total!"

Navigation is really poor. If I was a new user, I probably wouldn't come back because everything is jumbled and new (or more relevant) boards are VERY hard to find.

I don't like the rated answers. This isn't Yahoo Answers. That encourages people with a similar problem to not read all the responses just the one that the OP thought best. Which might be something horrible like, "Not everyone needs chairs! It is your day, do whatever you want!"

I would be okay with badges if I wasn't notified on the side of my screen any time ANYONE got one. Same with the profile comments. I don't need to see that Muppet posted a gif on cmgilpin's profile, no matter how awesome it is.

Notifications are amazing. Please, please, please keep those.

Flagging a post is way easier. I was never able to do it on my desktop before for some reason.

I don't care for seeing avatars everywhere on the main page. Could be just me, but I don't need to see my avatar 20 times in a row since I responded to a bunch of posts.

Totally random but I liked the space between post content and user's signatures. Now that it is gone it all feels close together.

• Here is another thing I just noticed. I clicked on Muppet's and Staar's profiles and I can see their personal emails. IDK if it's because I'm a mod but once again I'm not comfortable with people being able to see my personal info and I'm not comfortable seeing others.
  • You're not seeing personal e-mails because we don't have any together. Unless it was from the old board. What does it say? I think you are seeing what I posted on her board.

I didn't realize you could see what people are posting on other peoples boards because i added the content so I thought I could see it just because I posted it, but if you had to see a feed of all my ridiculous gif giving, I could see that being wicked annoying!

badges i don't care about so I def don't want to see anyones

I keep wanting to say basically, that this isn't facebook... why make it facebook? Also, I see that you can add FB to it but who the heck is going to add that? I don't want people knowing my info off the bat. i'm not super secretive but I don't like that.
  • edited April 2013
    I see suriaah@yahoo.com in your profile.
  • dislike. Thats my junk email but that's my real handle
  • super dislike. I actually have the box that says "allow users to see your email" UNCHECKED in the edit settings
  •  @MuppetFan @HobokenBride2012

• Moderators see more data on the profile than users will.  
    • The polls will not be public - it isn't yet on the test environment but all votes will be anonymous.  
  • @caitmLA - I want to add my intense hate of the lack of privacy. Mods can now see IP addresses and personal emails. Not okay. This is very personal data. If I wanted to share my email address I would, I do not want someone I don't know to be able to use it.

As a techy, I know that posting IP addresses is a bad idea. It is super easy to get someone's location from it and with a little knowledge, could access the computer remotely and plant malware.

If that feature stays, when this all goes live, I will tell other users and stop posting. This isn't safe at all.

• Flanytattoogurl or whoever is a moderator....and known troll. Fun to give those folks our info.

• @staar987 - the email and IP information is granted to Moderators, with the expectation that these are trusted users and wouldn't be used in a malicious way (and would assist them in the moderator responsibilities).  I will discuss your concerns with @jackie_d @Knot Jackie
  • @caitmLA - While I understand that the mods are supposed to be trusted users, that isn't always the case. There is a known troll as a mod on Wedding Woes. Also, mods have gone off the deep end in the past. Like when the Chit Chat mod banned almost every reg on the board in one morning because she was upset.. What would stop anyone from using IP addresses maliciously?

I appreciate that you are taking our concerns seriously. I know I am not the only one with this issue. Hoboken posted about it on a thread called IP Addresses that she doesn't think it is safe either and she is a mod.

• I don't like it and don't think it's necessary. Why can't that be restricted to when someone does enough to get IP banned? then TK gods can examine IP addresses after that for a person to block?
  • I don't like it and don't think it's necessary. Why can't that be restricted to when someone does enough to get IP banned? then TK gods can examine IP addresses after that for a person to block?
    Trying out the quote feature. My comment is appearing below the quote.
  • Replying again. This is a reply to a reply with a quote.
    Trying out the quote feature. My comment is appearing below the quote.
    Quoting a quote + comment