Second Weddings

"private wedding"

hello, this is our second marriage, we both did the traditional wedding the first time around. This time we are getting married on a rooftop in downtown. It will be myself, him and my daughter. His best friend (also introduced us) is marrying us. I wanted to have a couple of my girlfriends there too, but I dont want them to feel the "bridesmaid" pressure. How do I ask them to come or is it wrong to only want my close girlfriends (no more than 3) there to celebrate, get ready, drink champagne, etc.?

We will meet all of our friends and family at a dinner reception following the "private" wedding.

Re: "private wedding"

• It's not wrong to want them there to celebrate your special ocassion.  You can invite them to your wedding as guests and ask them to support you while you get ready.   Tell them that it's a small private ceremony because you are getting married in a unique location.  

That's my 2 cents I'm sure other ladies will probably have better advice. 
  • edited March 2013
    I was invited to an encore wedding where the ceremony was private (family only) and the reception was  a great celebration.  To be honest, I had a great time, it was a fun party but I felt sort of second class citizen.   But there were about 20 people invited to the ceremony, and about 80 at the reception.  I still wouldn't have missed the party for the world, as I was so happy for the bride & groom. 

I think you can do this, but do it with sensitivity and tact.  The folks at the party don't want to hear how amazing the ceremony was, or how funny the moment of xyz was, etc.  Although I am normally not a fan of the wedding "gap", this is a case where having a morning ceremony & an evening party makes sense. 

JMHO, of course. ~Donna